Practice Education Facilitators (PEFs)
Practice Education Facilitators (PEFs) provide support to those mentoring pre-registration students and also contribute to the enhancement of the wider clinical learning environment within NHS boards.
PEFs support mentors by ensuring that they:
- provide effective supervision
- are effectively assessing students
- provide informed decision-making in relation to learners.
Working between practice and education settings, PEFs aim to provide mentors with the support they need to improve learners' practice learning experience in accordance with the revised Nursing and Midwifery Council Standards to Support Learning and Assessment in Practice (2008) and the Quality Standards for Practice Placements (QSPP) (NES, 2008).
PEFs are also central to assisting senior nurses and midwives to enhance the quality of the clinical learning environment, supporting colleagues pursuing ongoing professional development activity and providing an important "link" between practice and education settings.
For the period 2013/14 the priorities for PEFs were:
- Enhancing practice learning
- Supporting delivery of practice based nursing and midwifery education
- Supporting professionalism and person centredness in practice learning