Care Home Education Facilitators (CHEFs)
The purpose of the Care Home Education Facilitator (CHEF) is to work with mentors in care homes, primarily for older people, to enhance the learning experience of student nurses on practice placements.
There are currently 11 health boards who have CHEFs that provide support to mentors through education and development activities and contributing to the development of the care setting as a positive learning environment which promotes a values based, person centred approach to care and learning.
Additionally, the role enhances cross sector working thus complementing the established practice education infrastructure within the territorial health boards across NHS Scotland.
From the outset, the principal aims of the role has been:
- Enhance the quality of the care home learning environment by supporting the education and development needs of staff to effectively support students within this setting.
- Contribute to quality of care provided for older people in care homes through sign posting practice learning opportunities for nurses and support staff.
- Support the development of both new and experienced mentors and those in wider practice education support roles.
- Contribute to collaborative working between the care homes, the NHS and Education Institutions.
- Maximise the contribution that care homes make to the development of the future nursing workforce across sectors.