Return to Practice
Return to Practice: Information and Eligibility for access to funding
The Cabinet Secretary for Health, Wellbeing and Sport at the Scottish Government has announced that funding will be provided by NHS Education for Scotland to encourage former nurses and midwives back into the profession. This funding seeks to enable former nurses and midwives to complete such programmes and to re-enter employment in Scotland.
Availability of Funding and Eligibility
Under the Scottish Government's Return to Practice Funding Scheme, returnees will be able to apply to have their university programme fees (£1500) at the 3 Scottish providers fully paid. The three active providers in Scotland are The Robert Gordon University (RGU), Glasgow Caledonian University (GCU) and (from January 2016) the University of Stirling (UoS). Each provides a different style of programme and works closely with different NHS Boards/Placement Providers in Scotland
Applications for Funding
If you wish to access funding support to cover your programme fees you must notify the programme providers and your application will be reviewed against the above criteria.
All applicants will be subject to joint interviews with university and placement partners before commencing a programme and funding will be paid directly to the University to which you have applied and been selected.
Funding and Subsequent Employment as a Registered Nurse/Midwife in Scotland
• The key purpose of this initiative is that the funding will support returnees take up a post within Scotland's health & care workforce.
• There are two placement models available to support this aim in Scotland (see below), but both options may not be available through each University/Placement provider.
• During the application/selection process at your chosen university, you should discuss the availability and suitability of these options with the programme staff.
• It is important to note that each model has different implications for you with regard to future employment and funding.
- Model 1 - directly linked to employment
- Model 2 - not directly linked to employment, but linked to commitment to employment
Student Access to supplementary funding support
In addition to the funding of programme fees, returnees can claim for ILA funding which you can put towards your learning expenses. This funding is subject to individual means test.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
If you have further questions regarding this scheme, please contact us at: